Friday, February 11, 2011

Let's get started....well kind of :)



Today I am starting a Blog about my life in the Assisted living home....
We have been working in the business since May 2010. It has been very interesting and I have found I actually enjoy working with the elderly. I was surprised by this because when I was in my teens my great grandmother was living in a little nursing home in Mesa, and although it was sweet, I absolutely hated going there. The mortality thing I guess, as a teen you never want to think it is possible you will get "OLD". Good thing we grow up... :) eventually, considering I had to reach 55 to discover that age is relevant and I am really a lot younger that I think. LOL!!!
So far we have worked with some wonderful, sometimes challenging people. I have learned that you can give them your heart, and survive when they have to leave . I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life. I consider our residents as my friends and try to treat them with dignity, respect and love. I try to put myself in the shoes of the family who makes that difficult choice to put their loved one in an assisted living home.
We have a home that we didn't build ourselves, but are slowly making it ours. You know how it is, if you get to choose what goes in your home,etc .. you would do it one way and someone else will do it another. Same with the assisted living business, you learn as you go what works for you.
We had 8 residents when we first started but we were keeping them until the Assisted Living business that was in this location built their new home and got it started. All together we have helped care for 10 different and wonderful people. Each having their individual personalities and special needs. We have learned to care for those with diabetes and meet their nutritional needs. We have learned how to work with someone who can't see well, and some who couldn't walk. We have learned how to recognize the beginnings of several different kinds of afflictions that the elderly deal with, and how to make our residents as comfortable and healthy as possible. We have learned how to keep their laundry smelling nice. We have learned the importance of staying on top of cleanliness in home and body. I am very grateful for these experiences and look forward to the many more things I will learn from serving our residents and their families.
We are now working on getting residents into our home, we are running a "Grand Opening" special. We have Lyle's Grandmother living here with us so we stay in touch with how to care for our residents when we get them.
Dementia is hard sometimes for families to deal with because their loved one change so much. They sometimes have completely different personalities than the ones they had earlier in their lives. That is one reason it is good to have homes like ours available to put our grandparents, and parents in. We understand that it is difficult to suddenly have to care for the people who cared for you growing up. Incontinence care and bathing your parents is something that is hard for a lot of people to deal with. You are not alone in your struggle, and that is why a good Assisted living home is a good choice. I am hoping that you will enjoy reading about our lives here at "Home Plate" and when that time comes you will consider putting your loved one in our home. :) Suzie Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment